Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Last week


was crazy!

As a swing, there a many times when you pause, realize how crazy your job is, and laugh.

Last week was my week to cover the role of Georg while Skylar is away shooting a film. Georg is a real treat to play. It is a major challenge for me, due to my lack of piano skills...however the payoff is wonderful. It's really a rush to sing that touch me solo...and the entire track is a lot of fun.

On Saturday I had quite the swing moment. I played Georg at the Matinee, however, when Johnny called out for the evening performance I had to switch tracks. I played Hanschen at the evening performance.

I just laughed. It was actually an exciting thing to accomplish that day. I got the call an hour before show time and headed back to the theatre. I went over some choreography and tried to re-gear my brain. What was so wonderfully refreshing is that my mind actually lived up to the task. Swinging is a learning process...always...and god knows I have had to learn a lot...but despite the mid-day switch, Hanschen went beautifully. Never better.

I think I have a lot to look forward to this winter. I'm excited to see what projects may end up springing up (or not springing up...because the winter months tend to be dead). It's so funny to think back on what I was doing last winter...looking for a survival job and things would work out after having turned down certain educational opportunities. Believe me, Spring Awakening has remained the best training any of us could have ever asked for.

4 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Blogger grrrace said...

this probs sounds like a weird question, but what do you do with your hair for georg? do you part in down the middle to look nuts, like gerard & robi do/did (ugh robi i'm so mad that you're gone), or do you do the curls like skylar? my friend calls them ~the hohos~. i can try to visualize the awesome that is your touch me solo, and i've heard that you absolutely rock it, but it's v. difficult without knowing how your hair is styled. LOL IS THAT WEIRD

i hope you're not leaving the show in november, because if i don't see you play melchior every time i go for the rest of my life, i will be very saddies.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Brianne said...

I've always thought that being a swing must be so fascinating...to have to get into so many different characters must be tough (especially two in the same day!), but also a lot of fun!

You definitely could have fooled me about your lack of piano skills. Even back when I saw you on the first time you played Georg, it seemed like you'd been playing for years! Since it's such a rush just to listen to your Touch Me solo, I can only imagine the rush you get in singing it!

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger knc91 said...

Thats really interesting. I never really thought how it must be to switch up characters half way through the day. It must have been odd, but im glad it went along smoothly.

I was there for your performance Thursday as Georg, and you did a beautiful job.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Amy said...

The job of the swing amazes me ... truly. I mean, the vocals and the blocking and the choreography for any variety of characters, and really, they all have to played differently. Congrats on your accomplishments. I hope this winter continues to bring you thrills and success. :) Rock on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home