Monday, May 17, 2010

The ArchAndroid


First off, I want to say something really important here. I am BLOWN AWAY by the response to my last blog post. I am so sincerely touched by all of it. The feelings and stories that you all shared with me were so remarkable. I have never been more thrilled to have this blog because it opened up such an important conversation and got so many people thinking. Thank you to everyone who responded and thank you to those who posted about the blog on various websites, twitter accounts, etc. That kind of response was truly the last thing I expected when I wrote the blog. I am so happy that it created a discussion.

I now feel like I have to write profound, passionate blog entries every time I post! :) The truth is you'll probably get a lot of "Funny" blog entries with SNL clips attached and quick updates about what's happening in my life. However, I have realized just how much a simple blog entry can say. I will most certainly make an effort to post my feelings on here about important issues if something strikes a chord in me like the boy being bullied that day did.

Thank you again for your stories and for your thoughts. I cannot say that enough.

Now...on a completely different note...

Tonight is sort of like Christmas Eve for me. As many of you know, I get a little obsessed with music and become a crazy fanboy over certain artists. Music is my greatest love and when I feel like there is something great on the rise, it's like santa clause is real. Tomorrow Janelle Monae releases her first full length album, "The ArchAndroid."

When I first discovered Janelle Monae I posted about her on here immediately. I have mentioned her non-stop on my twitter and I have fallen deeply in love with the music she creates.

Janelle is a bold and beautiful artist. She's doing incredible things with music and I could not be more in love with her. Her sound could not be more brilliantly eclectic and daring. She's having a blast with what she is doing and she isn't afraid to throw anything at the wall. She is a perfect mix of everything that I love. She writes brilliantly, she has a frighteningly soulful voice, and she plays around with every beautiful little idea that pops into her head.

Yes, I'm in love. So I'm a bit biased. I guess anyone who creates a concept album inspired by Metropolis (a 1927 expressionist film by Fritz Lang that changed film completely) wins me over. Even her recent collaboration with B.o.B on his fantastic cover of "The Kids," blew me away. Her voice comes in and melts me. The only way I know how to describe Janelle's voice is that it's Judy Garland mixed with Lauryn Hill...I mean...How could I not love this woman?

I get excited about musicians that create from their gut. I love music when it's bold and free and when I feel like the artist has had the time of their life creating it. Or at least has had the need to create it. It's inspiring! It makes me want to get up and do the same.

Buy her album. I understand that it may not be right up everyone's alley but I think it's remarkable work regardless. I can't wait to have a solid copy in my hands tomorrow! Make sure you pick up her first concept EP "Metropolis" as well. INCREDIBLE stuff.

LA Times Review

Video of "Tightrope"

21 Comments:

At 12:28 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

I keep meaning to listen to her since you're always mentioning her! Maybe I'll actually get around to doing it this time, haha. ;)

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Sara said...

You are seriously wonderful when it comes to finding great artists. The "Top 25 Most Played" playlist on my iTunes is dominated by Laura Marling, Justin Nozuka, Foy Vance, and many of the other artists you have mentioned on your blog. You're my own personal Pandora (radio, that is). I love Many Moons and Tightrope by Janelle Monae, and I cannot wait to buy her new CD as soon as I can afford it! I am torn between telling you to keep up the recommendations (because I know I'll love them) and telling you to stop (because I'm so broke and should probably be paying for textbooks instead of new albums). I'm gonna go with the former, so thank you and keep them coming!

Sara

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger ruthiefan_felix said...

Thank you for introducing her. Her album's not on sale in the UK yet. And her music video are really good! Always great to listen to more good & inspiring music. Rumours she'll come perform in the UK this summer!
Random: wanna recommend new UK artist Eliza Doolittle (Frances Ruffelle's daughter), her music's fun & light. check out her videos 'Skinny Genes' & 'Pack Up'.

 
At 3:40 AM, Blogger Oliver Reeve said...

I found out about her when someone posted her Many Moons video on their tumblr and was hooked by her dancing. Her style is just so refreshingly different that she actually pulled me into a genre I wasn't too keen on to begin with.

Definitely glad she's alive and kicking in the world today to spread all that creative energy.

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Juliane said...

I love your taste in music! Because of you I can drown myself in great artists and in wonderful songs I would never have heard of otherwise :-)
Thank you so much for your recommendations and may you never stop!

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Riley said...

Thats kind of the reason I read your blog! Your voice, passion and talent inspire me! Hopefully I make it like you one day!

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No matter how many times you censor the reaction to your hate, it will not change the fact that you are a hypocrite.

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous L said...

If you truly want to have meaningful dialogue with Matt, or his blog followers, about why his participation in that video upsets you, perhaps better to make yourself known so that he, or they, can respond to you directly. Negative anonymous comments usually lead people to a protective defense of the person being targeted, rather than getting them to agree with you, simply due to the spirit of the post. Perhaps better to lead people into thoughtful conversation via a less accusatory tone and without hiding behind anonymity.

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello L, perhaps you need to understand that I and many others have already contacted these people with our names and identities in full view and we have been deleted, ignored, blocked or insulted.

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, not again. Can you PLEASE just stick to Broadway Secrets or whatever? Even if Matt responds to you, you're just going to twist his words and call him a hypocrite again and it's just going to turn into a whole big mess because you refuse to reason with anyone. This blog entry is just about a singer Matt likes. Please just leave him alone.

I feel bad for continuing this discussion, but fingers crossed it ends with this comment.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger ruthiefan_felix said...

With all the 'anonymous' commenting... it's almost like a crazy person arguing with him/herself LOL

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Quinn said...

I love her! Passed this along to friends that I know will too. Thanks for this!

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Erle said...

Nice article about Janelle in May 13-19 Time Out Magazine:

http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/music/85599/janelle-monae-interview

 
At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the mugger just says sorry and doesn't mug you for about two weeks, would you accept his apology? Glad to hear you are alright but you are a part of something causing damage.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger ruthiefan_felix said...

'Anonymous', what is your problem??? Matt got mugged. Give him a break with your nonsense!
I was attacked by a gang of 8-10 teenagers with spanners over a month ago. It was one of the most terrifying experiences. I'm pretty sure Matt doesn't need any bitchy comments right now!

 
At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ruthie, per Matt's hypocritical teachings, it is only what affects us that is not funny. I haven't been mugged so my statement is hilarious. If he doesn't give a shit about the pain he is causing me and others in the Broadway fan community, why should I give a shit about his pain. Either it is all good or none of it is. I think my comment was funny.

 
At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Declan said...

How great is this video! She's beautiful and I love her voice.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger David Brothers said...

A co-worker of mine sent me her video for "Tightrope" and I fell in love. I'm sure the new album is going to be great!! Thanks for the recommendations!!

 
At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a music producer for MTV and I want to expand to producing for video games.How do I go about getting in touch with ones in charge of the music dept?

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

Thanks for the recommendation! Have you gotten a chance to listen to No More Kings yet...? I'm telling ya... "Umbrella" and "Someday".

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt, dunno if you read these but, it's Alex Jarvey. I live in NY now. fourone5eight4seven74sixzero.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home