Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Opening and more


With my schedule and constant Twitter updates I feel like this blog is starting to get neglected. So, I apologize about that. I love this thing and can't believe that it's been around since July 2006.

Things have been pretty non-stop lately. This past Thursday was the opening of Bye Bye Birdie. After 5 weeks of previews it was a relief to finally open the show.

Openings are exciting and it was a bit of a surreal experience for me. Despite having spent 2 years in the company of Spring Awakening, I wasn't with them yet on their opening night. This was my first Broadway opening! So many people that I look up to and respect were there Thursday evening. It's really thrilling to see a crowd of brilliantly creative minds come together to support each other. I'm humbled and grateful to be a part of this wonderful community. Standing next to Charles Strouse in the press line, seeing Michael Mayer (Director of Spring Awakening) in the audience, having my family and loved ones there, watching some of my cast mates make their Broadway Debuts, and so many other wonderful reasons like these made last Thursday a night to remember.

I won't pretend that the reviews didn't happen :) and obviously we all hoped for better press, but it really wasn't something that concerned anyone too much. I'm being completely honest when I say that I love my job and am excited to come to work every day. There is a wonderful energy in our theatre. In this crazy time we are all thrilled to have work and the opportunity to play every night. The audience has a blast and the show is one of Roundabout's best sellers of all time, which doesn't seem to be changing in any way. We have already extended to April.

This past Monday I was involved with the NAMT festival. The festival showcases new songs and musicals by up and coming composers and writers. Some really wonderful projects have come out of the festival. A childhood friend of mine, Drew Gasparini, was selected to showcase his song. Drew asked me to sing the song. I couldn't have been happier to help him out. Drew and I were double cast in community theatre shows and took all sorts of dance classes together growing up. It was really cool to cross paths again now that we're at completely different points in our lives. I think there are really big things in store for him. His musical, Crazy Just Like Me is great. The response to his song was extremely positive. We'll be hearing a lot from Drew.

On Monday, my first Gossip Girl episode of the season airs. I have a couple scenes this time and there may be some Halloween egging involved. Interestingly enough, a lot of my clips have ended up in the promotional spots for the episode, which is really exciting for me. I have had such a wonderful time on that set. It's a fantastic group of people. I hope to return soon. You can catch one of my scenes from Monday's episode here.

Recently, the wonderful Jenny Anderson did a photo shoot of me for Broadway.com. She shoots really beautiful photos and is also one of the nicest people on the planet. You can check out "Day in The Life of Matt Doyle" here.

Also! Last monday I sang at Will Van Dykes concert. The music is wonderful and the show was quite a success! You can see videos of the concert on youtube. Thank to Liz for those!

I'm looking forward to a pretty busy winter. I'm doing a few readings that I'm excited about (including one for a rather infamous musical…really looking forward to that one) and have some other possibilities in the works. Regardless, I'm happy about what is happening every night for me right now. I just hope to continue to explore and grow with all of the people around me that I admire so much.

More to come :) Stay warm...it feels like we're skipping Fall this year!

25 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Blogger Liz said...

Didn't you do an event last Monday, too? That someone took videos of.... http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9F8DBEB6C929018D

You should link your readers. Or something. Ahem. ;)

And the Broadway.com photo essay is adorable, btw.

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today is such a good day.

A bunch of tweets, a new blog, and a Broadway.com article with gorgeous pictures. (Props to Jenny Anderson!)

Congratulations on all these great events you've been a part of and are going to be a part of. Best of luck with everything! =)

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Genevieve said...

Wow. So many exciting things for you, and that photo essay is awesome. Your dog is SO adorable.

I am still hoping I will make it to the east coast and get to see Bye Bye Birdie. It is such a fun musical.

 
At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Michelle said...

It's so exciting to watch your career move forward, Matt. Those pictures turned out great - especially the ones with Jacob :)

I bet you can't give us any hints on that "infamous" show you'll be doing a reading of, now, can you...

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Michael, from Denton, TX said...

Matt F. Doyle (I think the F stands for Freaking Amazing, by the way...)
...

Loved the photo essay on broadway.com. Really wish I could come see Bye Bye Birdie in NYC. I've never been fond of the show, but reading how you feel about it has made me decide to give it another try.

Thanks for being a great guy when I met you after Spring Awakening in NYC, and thanks for being such a great role model for young actors. You're the best.

And I concur. Jacob is adorable. In fact, I can't decide who's more so, your puppy, or you. ;)

Keep up the fabulousness!!

--Michael, from Denton, TX

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Also, yay for Bay Area people being successful.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Glad you're having such a great time with this! I loved the photo essay! Definitely something to be proud of. Those videos are something to be proud of too! That concert was great! I'm so glad I had my handy dandy permission slip so I could go!

Also, you are a tease. Now, just watch! The information will be on the Internet before you even get all of it! Okay, hopefully not. But way to leave us all in suspense about your upcoming project(s)! =P

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous L said...

So much going on, you exhaust me! Congrats on opening nt & filling us in on what it's like from your perspective. I'm amazed how you can memorize so many different songs for different shows - even when you have lyrics in front of you & are turning pages, you never seem to actually look at them - and some of those songs are like long monologues. The clip from GG is your best yet, I think. Esp. love the photo spread, really fun to see. Holy multi-tasking, do you find time to sleep?

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger Alicia Vonne said...

I'm happy to have stumbled upon this tonight. It's fantastic that you share these experiences with people trying to get into the business of theater.

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding the reviews for BBB, I sincerely don't get the overly negative response. There are some criticisms I can understand, but the bad reviews seem strangely mean-spirited. I loved the show! It was so much fun and I'm definitely going to see it again in January when I'm back in NYC.

So I hope you keep on having fun, and I'm sure the audiences will, too! :)

p.s. Infamous play, huh? Hmmm.

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Emily said...

Wonderful to hear that you're still loving Birdie. I personally enjoy the show, and your performance is fantastic.

Now, as for this fall:
I can't decide if I think you're more of a Tommy Ross or a Billy Nolan. :)

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt, I think you should do vlogs(video blogs). You'd get like 8 million views, no joke.

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger electric_purple said...

So many exciting things for you! Congratulations Matt, you deserve it!

P.S. Ridiculous weather, I KNOW!

 
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Tim Sung said...

it's quite exiting to see you update!
I'm a high school boy from Taiwan(a country on the south of Japan, with the world's highest building, speaking Madarin, do you konw? XD)
I'm a total fan of Spring Awakening, also watching Gossip Girl and have heard several songs from Bare soundtrack recording.
You are so vocally intelligent, absolutely brilliant! I'm fascinated as soon as I watched your clips from youtube. Your appearance and moving and voice are so balanced altogether doubtlessly!
Hope I'm able to go to NYC and listen to your shows by myself(I went to Ldn this July and saw 10 musicals in 35 days!) or praying for that you could join a tour musical which comes to asia!
Currently my school hosts school play competition, I'm on the duty of writing the script, but got no idea to make it hilarious and well-constructed at the same time, and it's only 10 mins show! I'm so panicking!
Ur huge fans which is half globe away =D

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CARRIE?!

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Matt!!! Im soo happy that your enjoying BBB. It's great to hear whats been going on with you. You're a busy bee!! I loved the photo essay as well! Jacob is adorable!

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i ron and i hope you like the artwork i sent on twitter:)
http://ronniebee.multiply.com/journal/item/4/Bare_A_Pop_Opera

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt, I DARE you to post TWO entries in one week. I DARE you.

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Matt Doyle said...

HAHHAHA. One day.

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Katy said...

Or maybe once a week?

You could even just post pictures of your dog! Or write "Hi." We need something!

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't that pretty much what he does with Twitter?

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Matt, your picture disappeared! Well, it's still on some of the blog entries, but it's not in the little side thing anymore!

 
At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Fiona M said...

You're doing a reading for an infamous musical?

PLEASE LET IT BE CARRIE!
Surprisingly good music.. If it gets fixed up, it could be wonderful. I've heard rumours of a revival!!

 
At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Fiona M said...

Oh.. I just read your new post. I realise the reading was for Carrie! Well I'm glad I deduced that information anyway.. I'm so clever :P

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

A former professor of mine was talking about Lunch the other day. None of us knew but about it, so he told us to go on his page and look at what he wrote..so i did.. and what did i see there, but a picture of you being silly. It gave me a smile!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home