Saturday, September 26, 2009

Staying Busy


I enjoy staying busy because it’s nice to feel like I’m accomplishing as much as I possibly can…If I were plowed over by a truck tomorrow, I want to feel like I lived my life to the fullest…as morbid as that sounds. (looking for wood to knock on…surrounded by plastic counters)

So I'm usually happy if I say I'm busy, and lately I've been super busy! I will be appearing in episode 7 and 9 on this season of Gossip Girl and will hopefully continue to return for more. I love the show and I am thrilled to be a part of it in any way. It's been nice to see Jonathan's character expand a bit, too. I've been able to work on both Bye Bye Birdie and Gossip Girl rather seamlessly for the past two weeks, shooting on the day that Birdie is dark.

Bye Bye Birdie continues to take up most of my time and I’m having a blast. It’s nice to play a role that puts a smile on my face every night. I love working on such a bold character. It's been really wonderful to explore the mind of this outrageously neurotic and rather insecure teenager…Especially since I was one not too long ago.

A really great part about the experience has been getting to know the teen ensemble members. They are all very young. Some of them are completely new to the scene and some have several Broadway shows under their belts already. What's truly wonderful is that all of these kids are incredibly kind, down-to-earth, and supportive individuals. They are completely in love with what they are doing and excited to get out there every night. It's really refreshing and has given the rest of the cast a lot of energy. As a performer, I think it's important to remember how exciting everything was when you first began theatre. It's amazing that many of these kids are starting their theatrical careers on a Broadway stage. It's reminded all of us that we are just here to play and create a story.

It's been great to watch the show grow over the past few weeks. I know we'll be freezing it soon and preparing it for a good run.

I'm also working on a couple outside projects right now, including a few concerts. Will Van Dyke is an up and coming composer/music director. I will be singing some his beautiful work at his show on the 12th of October at the Duplex downtown. There are very talented people involved with the show. I'm sure it will be a great night. I'm thrilled to be a part of it.

Playbill Article (You must be at least 21 years of age to attend a show at the Duplex)

In terms of concerts, I'd like to be a part of more shows like Will's in the future. There is always another generation of Broadway writers and performers in line to debut their work. I love that about this city.

In the midst of everything, I've been in the middle of a rather insane move. I'm very excited about my new place, though. I'm not really sure why I decided now was the perfect time to pack up and deal with all of that insanity…but it will all be settled and over with by next week. I moved around a lot as a kid. Maybe that's why I can never stay in one place for more than a year. I'm going to try to make this next apartment a home that I will not want to leave.

…And since it's a bigger space, I hope to adopt another dog within the next few months. I think it's time Jacob had a friend to romp around with when I'm at the show. Since I'm a big dog lover, I may be leaning towards the larger breeds!

Anyway, things are good. I will have more to come.

18 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Yay for Bye Bye Birdie! I really can't wait to come back and see how it's evolved since that first weekend! I really think that the teenagers were one of the best parts of the show! Their enthusiasm is refreshing to see as an audience member as well!

And yay for more concerts! I wish I could go to this one. Hmmm...and I'm assuming getting my hands on a fake ID wouldn't work? Well, hopefully I can legally attend concerts you participate in in the future. ;)

And most importantly, AWWWW YAY FOR A NEW DOG!!!!

 
At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Julia said...

Huzzah! Glad to hear that the show is swingin'!

Any particular breeds you have in mind? I love me big dogs as well :)

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, if you get a new puppy you must post pictures!

It's so great to hear the show is going well. And I'm sure your concert will go swimmingly as well. =)

Best of luck with your move and everything else, too.

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger emily emazing said...

I'm so glad you're staying busy, it give us more to look forward to! As far as the dog goes, my vote goes to a Great Dane, however they may be far too large for what you're thinking!

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

" It's reminded all of us that we are just here to play and create a story." ... Wow that's such a profound statement, very philosophical and yet very true!

The casts look and sound great (from those rehearsal songs on YouTube). I will need to arrange time to come down to New York for the show.

Anyway, break a leg! - umm...I hope you know that I don't mean that literally...

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If I were plowed over by a truck tomorrow, I want to feel like I lived my life to the fullest…as morbid as that sounds. (looking for wood to knock on…surrounded by plastic counters)"

As soon as I read the first several words, I automatically reached out and knocked on my wooden desk for you!

Can't wait to see BBB in a couple of weeks. Glad to hear it's going well!

 
At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Bess said...

I so wish I could make the trip up to NYC to see Bye Bye Birdie, but being a teenager with little freedom makes it difficult to plan. I hope to find some time to go up and see a show soon though! I've heard such amazing things about the show, the teen ensemble, and you (of course!).

Moves are definitely hectic, but it'll be worth it in the end, especially if there's going to be another puppy to play around with! I'm in love with big dogs, I used to have a lab. I'm hoping to get another one soon, but as of now I'm just dog-sitting my aunt's Maltese puppy for the next couple weeks (a 2 pound fluff ball who's absolutely adorable!)

You definitely have to post some pictures of your new dog and Jacob when you get a chance :)

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Arielle said...

ah the exictement for bye bye birdie is just growing inside me and my sister! we cannot wait to see it and have it be our first braodway experience!!!!

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update on my birthday!!

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Dean Grey said...

Matt!

Wow, you really are doing great for yourself!

Congrats on the Gossip Girl appearances too!

-Dean

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.nsalamerica.org/
Adopt a puppy from there!

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Liz said...

Ran into Kyle Ewalt at "Academy" at NYMF (which you should go see, btw, it was FANTASTIC), and the first thing he said to me after "hello" was, "I don't think Matt Doyle is singing in this!" Ha. ;)

I did tell him that I WAS going to see you sing on Monday for the Will Van Dyke concert, and he seemed a bit miffed that you're cheating on him with other songwriters!

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Meggie said...

Matt,

Saw Katie and Ryan yesterday - told me about bye,bye birdie! Congrats!!! Hope you're doing well - I'll look for you on Gossip Girl - steal a headband for me if you can hahaha jk......Hope you're well!

~Meggie

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Need a Theater 101 briefing! (I see a lot of shows, but am not in the biz.) Does the opening night of a show (like Bye Bye Birdie's tonight) differ in any way from the previews, other than the fact that it's the official opening? Just trying to understand some of the tweets that I read. Also, what kind of gifts do the performers give to each other, and to which of the cast?

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Any thoughts on how Matt Doyle did in his role?

16 October, 2009


Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...
Anonymous, My apologies for lumping Matt Doyle in with all the other kids. He far surpassed all the adults in this production - he was quite good.

16 October, 2009


Anonymous said...
Thank you for clarifying. He has a beautiful voice and I quite enjoy seeing him perform, wanted to make sure that he wasn't being thrown out with the bathwater on here.

16 October, 2009

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Michael said...

Matt,

You've always been a great talent, and so sweet when I met you at Stage Door in NYC for Spring Awakening. I know you were really excited about the National Equality March this past weekend, and I was wondering if you'd share your thoughts and feelings on the event?

Also, how do you feel about your friend and former co-star Jonathan Groff coming out? Are you proud? (I have a feeling you would be, and very supportive). Keep up the awesome work!!

 
At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess you're accomplishing a lot because you are very busy, sir!

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Ben Jackson said...

Hello, i want to compete at districts with my school's thespian society, and was wondering if you could recommend a good male monologue, i know it's random but i figured why not ask you, it couldn't hurt. I cant wit to see you in Birdie!!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home