Friday, November 13, 2009

Ode to Sunshine


I noticed that this blog has been seriously lacking in music recommendations lately so I thought I'd take a stab at that again.

I'm currently obsessed with a couple of albums. The first comes from Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova of 'Once' fame. The name of their collaboration has always been known as 'The Swell Season.’ They have released a new album called 'Strict Joy.'

I love this collaboration so much. I fell in love with Glen's guttural and emotional voice when I first discovered him through his band, 'The Frames.' The new album is a success in my eyes. It moves in a very different way than their previous work on the 'Once' soundtrack. It’s a much lighter track list this time around and perhaps lacks a bit of the power of their past songs. I am, however, hooked. I love their voices together and admire the lyrics and messages of their new material. Despite the overall theme of ‘joy’ on the album, there are haunting and profound moments within the music. It is folk/rock at it's finest. These two artists are brilliant songwriters and I'm excited to see them continue to do more together.

The second album came as a bit of a surprise for me. I actually discovered it through watching Gossip Girl. Jenny began to toss her clothes furiously around the room. Suddenly, this great voice and unique beat began to underscore the commotion. Blake Daniel was watching the show with me and I started going on about how much I loved the song. We waited for the credits and I immediately looked up the band on iTunes. I had the album within minutes. (I seriously cannot believe how convenient things have gotten.)

The band is Delta Spirit and the album is called 'Ode to Sunshine.' I adore this album and adore this band. The song that caught my ear is perhaps their most popular. It’s called 'People C'mon.' It's a fantastic, foot stomping anthem that is so ridiculously catchy; I haven't been able to stop listening to it. The rest of the album is filled with great indie rock tunes, including a really beautiful ballad called 'People, Turn Around.' Okay…their titles could use a little work…but I'm in love with their sound. It's a unique blend of rock, country, and folk that has some really gorgeous arrangements. The lead singer sort of sounds like Rufus Wainwright gone rocker...if that's even possible. Occasionally I feel like the album leans a bit into 'The Shins' vibe. This isn’t necessarily a problem, but I do feel like too many bands are trying to emulate that sound. That being said, it's a catchy and inspired album. If you enjoy indie rock music (which would be about every Spring Awakening fan that reads this blog), this band is right up your alley.

This week I started rehearsals for the reading of Carrie. The people involved with the reading are spectacular. Sutton Foster is everyone’s hero and I’m no exception. It’s been a pleasure watching her work. On top of that, I’m so happy to be working with Jenn Damiano again. I still cannot believe how far she has come since we met working on Spring Awakening together. She’s also gorgeous! I mean, come on!

The whole experience has been very enjoyable. The writers are extremely passionate about their material and are striving to make it work. Stafford Arima is a fantastic director. I loved working with him this past summer on the reading of ‘Bare’ and I’m so thrilled to be working with him now. He’s such a smart director and communicates his vision so clearly.

Bye Bye Birdie continues to be a blast. Now that we are deep into the run, the backstage antics are growing and the onstage chemistry is developing even more. It feels tighter and more alive now than it did a month ago. It’s a great gig to go to every night.

I’m staying busy this winter and will have another workshop ahead of me as we get into December. I should also have another family member (dog) shortly!

Incase you missed it. You can see a video of the Kerrigan and Lowdermilk I performed this past Monday here. It’s called Last Week’s Alcohol and it’s an incredible song. I love these two writers SO much and had an amazing time that night.

35 Comments:

At 12:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Huzzah for the new blog and music suggestions *confetti*

I'm really liking "When in Roam" on the Delta Spirit album - it's punny and it makes homework roll by easier.

What breed is your new puppy? :D

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Matt. You didn't mention what the name of the band you heard on Gossip Girl is. I'm figuring you didn't do that on purpose.

 
At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Michelle said...

Your performance of "Last Week's Alcohol" nearly made me cry, and I wasn't even there to see it live. Keep it up.

 
At 12:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carrie CARRIE CARRIE!!!!!!!!!

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Matt Doyle said...

thanks J!

 
At 1:18 AM, Anonymous Maria said...

Delta Spirit remind me of The Stills, there's just something about the depth of the sound that's similar.

I don't know if I can see The Shins in there, but I agree that there are way too many bands going for that sound right now, it's a bit annoying at times.

Oh and good luck with the new puppy, they can be quite a handful ;)

 
At 1:32 AM, Anonymous Kristin said...

Great blog, Matt...and good luck with your new puppy!

..oh, and just thought I'd say that the new Carrie reading looks great! You, Sutton, and Jenn together? Pretty awesome if you ask me. :)

 
At 2:03 AM, Anonymous ZikPot said...

Music fans can find the right artists to bet on and win cool items on this site.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Arianna said...

Matt, great blog! I actually have been reading it ever since we met after a performance of Bye Bye Birdie, and its so interesting. My school is also putting on the show as our winter production, and I am in the cast! It was really exciting to be able to see it on Broadway.

Thanks for the great music suggestions; after watching that episode of gossip girl, I fell in love with delta spirit. What is it like to see yourself on TV? It must be amazing!

PS. good luck with your new puppy PPS. you did an AMAZING job as Hugo in Bye Bye Birdie

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Alicia Vonne said...

Thanks for making me feel old. haha. I've never heard of a single one of your musical references. Pretty sure that's the first sign. I've liked some of your previous picks so I'll give it a shot.

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay first of all I just wanted to say I love reading your blog, some of your posts make me laugh so hard, and this is a totally random question, I hope you don't get offended by it, or think I'm out of line by asking it, but are you gay or straight?

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Cameron Kelsall said...

Hey Matt,

My name is Cameron and I write for Show Showdown (showshowdown.blogspot.com). I saw BYE BYE BIRDIE and was really taken by your performance. Even in a small(er) role like Hugo, you really stand out. I assume you're crazy busy these days, between the show and CARRIE, but I'd love to interview you for the website. If this is something in which you might be interested, please e-mail me at tsnobblog@yahoo.com and we can work out the details. I look forward to (hopefully) hearing from you--keep up the good work!

Best,
Cameron

 
At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Tasha said...

Hey Matt, ok first off I just wanted to say that I think you are so talented, and seem like such a sweet and fun guy, and I really enjoy reading your blog. So I'm a cosmetology student and after I get my license I want to do hair and make up for theatre, so I was just wondering if you have any advice for where I should send a resume/portfolio, or how to get into the industry? I would really appreciate any tips you might have. Please e-mail me at Dancefever89@sbcglobal.net


Thank you!!!!!!

Natasha

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger Ashton Foster said...

i just thought you should know that your blogs seriously make me smile. your quite optimistic and cheerful at all times, and as sad as it is- most of the performers i work with in the professional business have a dismal quality about them...but not you kiddo. ive seen you live- and you have never...not once...disappointed me. thanks for being amazing! keep up the amazing work :) much loveeeee

A great artist is always before his time or behind it.
-george edward moore

 
At 6:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Matt!

I just want to say that I'm your number 1 fan here in the Philippines (that's a country in Asia). Yep, I might be too far from your country, but your lovely voice was able to penetrate the distance barrier.

I'm really impressed with your stint as Peter in BARE: A Pop Opera DVD, your parts never seem to fail to reduce me into tears whenever I hear it. You have such command with the songs and the character, that everyone who listens to it can't help but feel the message that you want to impart!

I hope you'll be back on Gossip Girl (Jonathan and Eric is such a wonderful couple!) Sniff on episode 3.09. haha!

I also saw a video of you and Wesley Taylor's (which I also considered very talented and charming) version of "Are You There?" I'm squealing with glee while watching it. Both of your voices complement perfectly.

It's sad that I cannot see you performing live... however I try to watch videos of yours from youtube and follow this blog for more updates on your career.

Big fan! Big fan!

Sorry for the long-winded comment. Yep, I know it's not even remotely related to the blog post. *peace!

Thanks! =]

Charlie, 19 years old
Philippines

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question:
I'm not sure if Martian Entertainment has started casting for next season but it's been announced that they will be doing Bare, is there any way that you will be a part of that?

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you ever answer tweets from your followers?

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trashcan is my favorita Delta Spirit song =P

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Emily said...

Matt.
Your preformance of 'Last Week's Alcohol' really made an impact on me. Great Job ! :)

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt your blogs are amazing!

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please do an entry about your grandfather hearing you sing for the first time - I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to hear more about that.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger fabiogomes22 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger fabiogomes22 said...

Hi, Just wanted to say that I may be your biggest fan here in Brazil, you are extremely talented, congratulations!

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's get some posts up in here

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In light of your new puppy, you are being double dog dared to write a new blog.

Fabulous job every night in Birdie.

 
At 4:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is looking like your blog might need a funeral, or a revival.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Matt Doyle said...

May be taken down soon.

 
At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Libby said...

:'(

We love you Matty (Oh yes we do), even if your blog is gone.

Sincerely,
The world

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait? Is that a joke? Why would you take down your blog?

Your journey is just beginning. You can't stop recording it now. THE journey is the reason we're all attracted to your blog like bugs to a light. We long to see what happens next in your future.

You're an inspiration to aspiring actors and broadcasting your success does nothing but contribute to inspiring us thespians.

I know we constantly pester you about your lack of entries, but it's only because we're so eager. For the sake of your fans, please don't take down your blog.

 
At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Matt, Weston Middle School is performing Bye Bye Birdie later this month. A group of the students will be attending your show this Saturday 1/9 matinee. Wondering if you will be able to meet them at stage door. pgay@thewestonforum.com

 
At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be pretty sad if you take it down, not gonna lie. But if you really want to, go for it, I guess. Keeping a blog should be enjoyable, so if you feel like it's becoming a task or whatever...I'd take it down, too. It's been fun reading. I still look forward to watching your career grow.

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I will be sad to see it go since it is fun to read, and I love that it starts before you got cast in Spring Awakening or anything, if it is more of a hassle than joy to update it, I suppose it is time for it to go.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Kara Kirby said...

Thank you for the suggestions! I haven't heard of any of those bands. Also, congratulations on "Carrie" and the video was great. You are very talented.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger adriana said...

you are amazing! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home