Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Dreams


Recently, Stever Robbins, host of "The Get-It-Done Guy" Podcast, wrote me about a blog entry I made back in June 2006. It was my first entry.

I wrote, "I have never let attractive and safe packages presented to me influence my decisions. To be honest, a "safe" decision usually scares me the most. Safe is boring, unproductive, and predictable. I just got back from a year of training at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA) in a post-graduate program. This is something I chose for myself over a wide range of options most actors my age would have killed for."

It's been a while since I've thought about that summer. It was a ballsy move for me. Thankfully, it has worked out.

Stever contacted me because someone had written to him asking about pursuing dreams and when to give up on them. Stever interviewed me to talk about my experiences in New York City and how not giving up on my dreams has worked for me.

You can hear his thought-provoking podcast on the topic here

And my rather candid interview with him here

It was a pleasure talking to Stever. The interview came at good time for me. I needed to take some of my own advice! Having grand expectations and setting goals for one's self can be dangerous. You can set yourself up for failure. Instead, I believe in following your gut and constantly having faith in your dreams. I know with enough passion and drive, you can make things happen.

8 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the interview, Matt! I'm listening to it right now. Very interesting.

 
At 1:22 AM, Anonymous Yan said...

really great interview! I've been having some trouble these days and this has really quite inspired me :)

Congratulations Matt! and most of all, thank you :)

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Love the interview!

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

ps; i'm still waiting for you to cave and get a twitter. ;)

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!

Just gotta say, you're not the only babyface on this earth :) (I read some of the writings and the babyface thing really made me laugh. Believe me I know how it is. :D)

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger emily emazing said...

Your entire story is so inspiring and motivating! I'm so glad that you've had all this success, you really do deserve every bit of success thrown your way. I'm so excited to see you doing well and I can't wait to see you and Bill Irwin on the same stage!

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Erle said...

You (1)cared about something, i.e., acting, (2)knew what you cared about, (3)prepared (UK, etc.), (4)didn't give up in spite of rejection, (5)really worked hard/applied yourself when you had an opportunity, e.g., joined the SA team and (6)naturally got along great with everyone.

 
At 1:12 AM, Anonymous L said...

That was fun to listen to, thanks for sharing. Are you sure you're only 22? I was so not that mature at 22...or maybe now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home