Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Back To the City


I had a wonderful two weeks at The O’Neill. Working on Picnic at Hanging Rock was a terrific experience. The show grew so much in the two weeks we worked on it. I am so happy that I was able to be apart of such a beautiful piece.

I must admit I’m having a hard time readjusting to city life. My little dog, Jacob, who spent his two weeks at my parent’s home in the country, also misses the great outdoors.

I really needed the two weeks away. I love New York City but every now and then I feel like the walls are closing in on me. Spending two weeks by the beach, working on new material, gave me a much-needed breath of fresh air. I will miss the creative process and running out to the Hammock to learn new music!

The cast was wonderful. They are all people I would hate to lose touch with. Watching Laila Robbins act was better than a master class at LAMDA. We all had an incredible time together. Several of us took a ferry out to Block Island and spent the day riding bikes to the beaches there. I hadn’t been there since I was a kid. It was so nice to go back with such good company.

Daniel Zaitchik has a huge future ahead of him. His music is stunning. I really hope Picnic at Hanging Rock finds a home in New York City. The score needs to be heard. The book has really taken on new life as well. Daniel made some extreme changes before the final reading that really helped make everything clearer to those not familiar with the source material. If they would have me back, I would drop everything to do the show.

Speaking of Daniel, he has a show coming up on Monday at Joe’s Pub. You should check it out. Info

Speaking of Joe’s pub…

Nah, I shouldn’t tease…especially when the details haven’t been worked out yet.

Oh, and incase you’re wondering. I did meet Jason (Jake Shears of Scissor Sisters).

…I nearly crapped my pants.

15 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Because that totally wasn't teasing at all...

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Matt Doyle said...

of course not :)

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Liz said...

I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to see Picnic at Hanging Rock, and I'm so curious as to how it evolved during the second week of the workshop. I got my hands on the movie (which wasn't actually all that helpful in terms of character development, really, I felt that the characters and their relationship to each other was developed much better in the musical than in the movie). So much of the movie seems to revolve around the logistics of the actual search for the girls. Now I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of the book, which is severely out of print. Thank god for people selling used books online....

What I think I found most striking in comparing the musical to the movie is the brilliant way in which Daniel made the three girls -- who disappear 30 minutes into the story! -- present and watching throughout the show, and thus they continue to be part of the story and have their own stories develop. I really loved what he did with the characters of Miranda and Sara, especially. And Michael also, I thought your character was much more interesting and nuanced than in the movie, and of course it helps that the musical format allows us to know what the characters are thinking and feeling along with what they're saying and doing.

I heard that they eliminated the character of Miss Lumley, and changed some of the narration around, among other things? I really would love to see how this show continues to develop, I hope he keeps on with it. The music is SOOO good.

Wow, long boring rambling comment, but no one else I know has seen this, so I have no one else to bore with my babbling.

And yes. You are, in fact, a big tease!

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

no one likes a tease, Matt.

but I'm glad to hear that a show is in the works? since that's what your not-teasing is leading me to believe.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Sarah Marie said...

I was going to suggest you trying to get a gig at Joe's Pub. I work there...I am a stage manager and an intern and they are looking for people to fill late night spots and you would be great. I am also excited for Daniel's show which I am stage managing. His music is really fantastic; it is so different than anything else. Maybe I will see you there.

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Claudia said...

What a truly exciting opportunity for you, Matt! My people tell me that you gave a stunning performance at the workshop. If London (UK) were a tad closer to Connecticut, I would have been there in a heartbeat. Speaking of performances, and your ever-so-subtle tease...should you decide to grace us with a solo gig in NYC, can you please consider the possibility of doing it on any night between 10-12 August, which coincides beautifully with my hop across the vast Atlantic Pond! I hope that's not asking too much :)

Claudia
xx

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous L said...

Tease. I'm planning a trip to the city and would totally schedule it around a Joe's Pub appearance.

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Colleen said...

So glad you had a great time in CT! I wish I could have seen you and the rest of the wonderful cast in the show. Oh well. I'm just excited for BBB. =)

And, I agree with everyone else... Tease.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger emily emazing said...

You can now add "Professional Tease" to your resume because that absolutely took it to another level. We need details asap, please! Oh, and I'm so glad you got a chance to be a part of something like that. I'd drop everything to be a part of something that I feel strongly about, as well.

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Whitney said...

oh.my.gosh. you have GOT to be kidding meeeeee

I AM SO EXCITED.

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Adrienne said...

agh! that non-tease was so anti-climactic! :)) i almost fell off my chair there for a second lol

I really wanted to see Picnic at Hanging Rock, but CT isn't exactly a hop skip and jump from where I am... but I'm sure it was beautiful!

and Scissor Sisters!! that must've been more than awesome :D

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Tayler said...

I'm so glad you had that experience because it really does seem like an amazing show from what i read and heard about it, hopefully New York will open it's arms to it. And by the way Block Island is my absolutely favorite place in the world I've vacationed there several times and still can not get over the fact of how amazing it is there. Keep us posted!

 
At 2:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Matt!
Im soo glad you had a great time at The O'Neill! You deserve the little break from the city.

So Joe's pub? "Woohoo!!!"
You're teasing made me smile today!!!

Suzy

 
At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt....

I caught Hanging Rock (with Liz) for the Saturday night show. It was great. to see you perform again. I've missed your voice so.

I was playing 'bare' for one of my students so that she could hear you sing (I forget why specifically.)....within the first 6 bars or so, one of just blurted out. "omigod, I love him!". Your voice does that to people.

Can't wait for your gig....I got my tix!

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Geoffrey Kidwell said...

Um Matt...I haven't seen you in so long. I could just grunt. UGH! Isn't that what all your friends do when they haven't seen you in awhile? At least that's what I learned from meeting you at Mercury Lounge a couple weeks ago. Anyway, I just stumbled upon your blog and thought I'd say hello. So here it goes: HELLO! Best to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home