Monday, April 20, 2009

Spring


It has finally arrived.

This weekend I had my first NYC roof-cookout. I'm so thrilled Spring is here and can't wait to get the ball rolling on other projects I am involved with this summer.

Right now I'm taking it easy after a very successful run in Toronto. Melchior is a marathon of a role and I surprised myself at how well my voice and body handled jumping back into it after not touching it for two months. It was a blast. I am so happy I was able to play the role full time and blessed to have done it with such an incredible company. I especially loved working opposite Christy as Wendla. The two actors who play Melchior and Wendla have to build a special bond pretty quickly and I was alway excited to share the stage with her. If anyone has time to go see Christy as Wendla on the tour...do so. You will not be disappointed.

I have decided not to continue on with the tour. My last performance with Spring Awakening TRULY was April 12th. A couple fans asked me if I was sad on that day. To be completely honest...it was a great day. I went through the grieving process two months ago. It was a shock to the system when the broadway show closed. I am thrilled I had the opportunity to go back and play Melchior and now I'm ready to move on.

I am trying to get the ball rolling on a concert right now. I wish I could give more information than that, but it's not the easiest task to throw one together. I hope to do a night of mostly soul music (contemporary and classic) and put it in a more low key venue like Ars Nova. No matter what, the night will include some songs from past projects and what not. When I have a better idea on how things are coming together, I will indeed talk about it more.

If you're looking for some new music a couple of my favorite artists have recently produced new albums. Andrew Bird's "Noble Beast" is stunning. The orchestrations are captivating. Martha Wainwright also has a new album out. I haven't immediately fallen for it like her last, but there is no denying her songwriting skills. I'm excited to get into it more.

While I spoke about him a long time ago, I'm not sure if I ever went into detail on Foy Vance. This is an artist that I have completely fallen in love with. He is a contemporary soul/blues singer who has an incredible voice. Please take a listen to his album "Hope." I've been listening to it for a couple years now and recently got back into it. The songs "Gabriel & the Vagabond" and "First of July" are brilliant.

1 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Brian said...

I have to agree with you. "Hope" is brilliant. His voice melts. I hope you are well Matt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home