Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Hair


Last week, on my birthday, I was treated to tickets to the revival of Hair. I was extremely excited because, in terms of scores, Hair may be my all-time favorite. Every song is joyful and completely riveting. Seeing this music live should make you want to jump out of you seat and scream!

Thankfully, the exceptional Broadway revival playing at the Hirschfeld does just that. There's so much that I could say...but it has all already been said by the production's well-deserved rave reviews.

Hair may not be for everyone. The story line and structure isn't as solid as a typical musical. The strength of the musical lies in music and the characters that intimately share their world with the audience every night. It's a look into the lives of these exuberant freethinkers.

Everyone in this current revival cast has fully-fleshed out the lives of their colorful roles, standing out at one point or another. Whether it is Allison Case's contagious joy, Kacie Sheik's soulful and fresh voice, Sasha Allen's power, or the commanding performances from Will Swenson and Gavin Creel, something up on that stage will move you. This show is the definition of an ensemble piece.

Claude is by far one of my biggest dream roles. I was so moved and thrilled with Gavin Creel's performance. Since the first time I saw him in "Thoroughly Modern Millie," I have shared the sentiment that Gavin has one of the greatest musical theatre voices ever. It's effortless.

It was probably one of the most inspiring nights of theatre I've had in a long time. Seeing my peers...the people that I admire the most, completely in sync and bursting with emotion.

Again, I'm a complete nerd over this show to begin with. I'm a bit biased. That being said, this is a masterful production of the musical. It doesn't just deliver the show's timeless messages and undying originality, but is also an explosive celebration of the show's influential and beloved material. This show TRULY changed musical theatre.

So, I say check it out.

17 Comments:

At 7:24 AM, Blogger brauhala said...

First of all, Happy Belated Birthday Matt. I hope 22 treats you well and finds you much more success and fulfillment. :-)

I got tickets to "Hair" for my birthday as well - I went to the first preview and the energy in the theater completely blew me away. Gavin Creel took the cake for me as well - his performance was so riveting in "Where Do I Go" that I actually missed the naked people. It wasn't until the number finished and they were scurrying off stage that I realized he had held my focus the entire time. What a powerhouse!

Have you checked out his pop record "GOODTIMENATION"? Aside from being a really strong songwriter with great melodic flair, his vocal control is incredible. He has so much flexibility with his technique that he is able to sound like an almost entirely different singer as he steps out of the theatre. He's just fantastic.

I'm in town for June, hope to see you around! Hope all is well.

- Ben

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger electric_purple said...

wow! so lucky!
hopefully i'll get a chance to see it this august on my trip to nyc...
happy belated birthday btw!

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

I enjoyed Hair when I saw it for my birthday (well, I saw the final preview for RoA ON my birthday and saw Hair later that week with some friends to actually celebrate it). The show itself is not my favorite, but the score is excellent and the cast's energy and the interaction with the audience was amazing. Bryce as Woof was my favorite. I had a very good time.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Sarah Marie said...

Hair is definitely my favorite show on Broadway right now and is in my top 5 of all time. There is something with this cast and the way they tell the story that clicks with everyone, their energy is so infectious. I think you would make a fantastic Claude and I would be so excited to see what you would do with the role.

Where you able to get on stage to dance with the cast at the end??

Peace, Love,
Sarah

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Zoe Nadja said...

It's so exciting to see your excitement about Hair! I was lucky enough to get to see it a couple weeks ago (I saw it in Central Park over the summer as well), and I thought it was phenomenal as well.

Hair is my third favorite musical of all time, and this was definitely the best production of it I have ever seen. Even my friend who I went with (who is the type of person to rip shows to shreds) had nothing bad to say about it.

Happy belated birthday, too!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Felicia said...

Hair is my new favorite show. That, and Rock of Ages. I'm so in love with hair it is rediculous. I've seen it twice already and the cast is phenominal! glad you had a good time!
Felicia

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Vivian said...

Awww, happy birthday! Hair is so beautiful and I'm glad you got to go see it. I haven't got to see it yet but I hope to soon. I've been listening to it alot lately as you probably have too =P

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday!! It's really ironic because the minute I started reading this I was listening to Aquarius.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger xx-kisskiss-xx said...

Happy Birthday, Matt! I'm going to see Hair in a few weeks and your review only makes me want to see it more. You actually might remember me, I asked you do to a video for the boy who made you the plate. He might be coming to NY over the summer and we were hoping to see you in a show!

Best of luck, and all my love.

 
At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hair was absolutely fantastic when I saw it about two months ago. The cast was crazy good, and I'm definitely going back soon. Gavin was incredible as Claude, and the rest of the tribe was equally great. I had so much fun dancing on the stage at the end.

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Olivia said...

I saw Hair at UConn, and it blew me away. I went home and bought my tickets to see it on Broadway in August. :D

Also, Matt, I'm so glad to hear you're going to be Hugo in Bye Bye Birdie! I am extremely excited for September.

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Matt!

Congratulations on Bye, Bye Birdie! Looking forward to it. Is your role Hugo, a singing part?

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger ATUgirl said...

I'm so glad to hear that Hair's good, I'm picking a show to see in New York when I go in August and both my mother and my grandmother said I should pick Hair, so maybe I will.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Hair is amazing, one of my favorite musicals and absolutely life changing.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Alex Dorward said...

I am absolutely dying to see this revival! Unfortunately there is no way I can travel to NYC at the moment.

Ohh Gavin Creel, he is enjoyable! Amen on the effortless voice comment. I have spent hours on hours listening to that Millie soundtrack (I'm in that show right now and it just opened, so it's pretty much ironed into my brain!), and it makes me a little sad when I hear our Jimmy Smith straining just ever so slightly to hit some of those notes, while Gavin can just breeze on by them!

P.S. Happy Belated toooo yooooou! :D

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt, you'd make a fierce Claude.

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Matt!
I don't know if you will see this, but I still remember when you came back to our school. :) I watched "Candy" It's like the best song ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home