Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Pirate's Gospel


As promised, I am going to start mentioning artists that I am listening to and interested in. I recently was on a crazy hunt for a new singer/songwriter that I liked. After hours of listening to 30 second samples of completely unoriginal material on iTunes, I finally came across a girl that I thought was worth the $9.99 for an album. Before I bought her CD, I checked out her music on her myspace page. I was blown away. Her name is Alela Diane. Her lyrics are wonderful, but it is her voice that truly makes her a stand out. It's easy and beautiful, but it has a great amount of depth and drive behind it. I have been listening to her album, "The Pirtate's Gospel," non-stop for the past week. It's fantastic. "The Rifle" is one of the best tracks I have heard this year.

I will say that I think some of the material not featured on her album is some of her best work. "Dry Grass and Shadows" is a track that you can hear on Alela's Myspace, but it is not found on the album. Trust me, this is not a song you want to miss. A breathtaking nostalgia piece, "Dry Grass and Shadows" features spectacularly thoughtful lyrics.

Alela is signed to a small label in Oregon named Holocene Records. I am very interested to see where her career goes from here.

http://www.myspace.com/alelamusic or http://www.aleladiane.com/

2 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh, i was looking to see what bloggers were saying about alela's music.. i love her music! stumbled upon your posting about her... the album is definitely worth the $9.99!

what else are you listening to these days?

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

She reminds me of a Jenny Lewis/Ani DiFranco twist...sort of.

I really want to see you perform, so if you ever get a heads up that you might be going on (as Melchior or whoever) POST IT!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home